Play tents are about fun, looking great and being a feature into your child’s space. See some practical considerations to kick start your play tent buying journey.
- Size and Space: The first thing to consider when selecting a play tent is the size and space available in your home or outdoor area. Consider the dimensions of the tent and ensure it fits in the space you have available bearing in mind that if it is for outdoors, will the materials be durable enough for this? Also, consider the number of children who will be using the tent and their ages, as this can help you determine what size tent will work best for your needs. Questions to ask are: How many children will likely use this tent? Where will I like to use the tent? Would the play tent be a permanent feature in the room or something to pack away later? What size space do I have? What access does the play tent have?
- Materials and Durability: The materials and durability of the play tent are also important factors to consider. Look for a tent made with durable materials that can withstand regular use and rough play. If you're more eco-friendly conscious, look for timber poles from sustainable forestry solutions and for tent canopies that are made from natural fibres, like cotton.
- Ease of Setup and Storage: Play tents can come in a variety of shapes and sizes, so it's important to consider how easy the tent is to set up and store. Look for a tent that can be set up easily, without the need for complicated instructions or tools. Also, consider whether the tent can be easily stored when not in use, as this can help keep your home or outdoor area clutter-free. Plastics and screws deteriorate over time so avoid tents with many of these features.
- Safety and Age Appropriateness: Safety is always a concern when it comes to children's toys, so make sure to select a play tent that is appropriate for your child's age and stage of development. It is also important to supervise your child when they are using the tent, especially if they are very young. Consider your child’s abilities and match it to the play tent function. Play tents with additional accessories may or may not compliment your child’s developmental stage. A play tent that has the opportunity to grow with them is useful for product longevity and sustainability.
- Design and Theme: Finally, consider the design and theme of the play tent. Play tents come in a wide variety of designs, from simple and classic to more elaborate and themed designs. Consider your child's interests and preferences when selecting a play tent, as this can help to make playtime more enjoyable and engaging for them. Remember that your child’s tastes and play style will evolve over time so consider if a cheaper themed tent is more appropriate or a carefully crafted play tent that is user friendly over time is the best investment.
Play tents are about creating a fun, enjoyable and beautiful place for your child’s inspirational play. With a few considerations you can have that and more!
For playroom inspiration we recommend the following instagram accounts@junimoonstore
@littleteekies for a range of varied play spaces with a teekies as a feature